Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Parting is such sweet sorrow...

It's under 48 hours now before I'll be on the plane headed to Mendoza, Argentina to begin our attempt on Cerro Aconcagua. I have everything on my packing checklist, and am ready to try to cram it all into 2 duffels (and finish my plans to bend the laws of physics so they will weigh less than 50 lbs each).
I have great anticipation about our climb, and am looking forward to the opportunity to attempt the 2nd highest of The 7 Summits, and checking off my second of the 7. (More on my first climb at http://denaliclimb2008.googlepages.com/home).
Aconcagua is in Argentina, close to the border with Chile, in the Central Andes, and stands 22,841 ft (6,962m). It is the highest mountain in the Western and Southern hemispheres, as well as the highest mountain outside the Himalaya. That said, it is still probably not in the top 200 highest in the world (which says a lot about the Himalaya!)
I'm very happy to be climbing with Mark Postle again, he was our lead guide on Denali and is a great climber and human being. As excited as I am to be heading into the mountains again, I will miss my wife, particularly now that she is 10 weeks pregnant with our first child! I have a lot to look forward to coming home!

Next update from Mendoza!

No comments:

Post a Comment